Natural Grass Sod Technical Specifications
Natural grass sod standards and classifications in Ontario.
A complete specification for natural grass nursery sod will include the quality standards as set out below and a selection of one of the classifications of natural grass nursery sod as set out in the following:
Number One Grade Natural Grass Nursery Sod
Natural grass nursery sod is grass that has been seeded and cultivated in nursery sod fields as a natural grass sod. At the time of sale, Number One Grade Natural Grass Nursery Sod should be in a healthy condition. Sod of this quality may contain one broadleaf weed per ~430 sq. ft. and up to 1% native* grasses.
Sod should be of sufficient shoot density that no surface soil will be visible from a standing position, when mowed to a height of 1.5 inches. The mowing height range should be 1.5 to 2.75 inches, with the exception of creeping bentgrass sod, where mowing height is determined by the end use.
Classification, Description, and Use of Natural Grass Nursery Sod
Contact your local supplier to inquire about the varieties that they grow.
Kentucky Bluegrass Sod
- Nursery sod grown from one or more Kentucky bluegrass cultivars.
- Highly recommended by NSGA, this all-purpose sod is a first choice for Ontario climates for use in sunny to slightly shady locations.
- Its excellent colour and texture make it an attractive, high-quality turf, especially for residential lawns.
- Also used for parks, cemeteries, institutional grounds, boulevards, golf courses, sports fields, offices, and commercial lawns.
Kentucky Bluegrass / Fine Fescue Sod
- Nursery sod grown from a seed mixture containing 90 – 95% by weight of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars and 5 – 10% by weight of creeping red, chewings, or hard fescue cultivars.
- An all-purpose sod with moderate shade adaptation.
- Suitable for residential lawns, parks, cemeteries, institutional grounds, boulevards, golf courses, sports fields, offices, and commercial lawns.
Fine Fescue / Kentucky Bluegrass Sod
- Nursery sod grown from a seed mixture containing 60 – 70% by weight of Kentucky bluegrass cultivars and 30 – 40% by weight of creeping red, chewings, or hard fescue cultivars.
- A less attractive lower-maintenance sod having higher tolerance to shade and drought stresses.
- Suitable for any turf area requiring shade tolerance and/or minimal maintenance.